Saturday, January 24, 2015

Why Geeks Should Write!

    The past few weeks of this course has been very interesting because we started off the course with OOP (Object Oriented Programming) which I've only worked with a bit back in high school using java. I never really understood OOP in high school but now I feel like I have a better understanding of it since the first  labs was about class design and inheritance. I won't get into OOP too much in this post yet because I'm still not extremely comfortable with it... maybe by next week  I'll have a firm understanding on it after working on A1!    

    During the first few lectures, Professor Heap always talked about how computer science and programming is all about collaboration since no program, website or project can be effectively completed by one person. While he was saying all that, I just sat there and agreed because... well, IT'S TRUE. I believe that no matter how good you are at programming, there's probably someone else out there that's better than you and can give you some advice or help on whatever project you are working on. With all that being said, here's why I think geeks should write (LET'S GO!):

1. Keeping a log for catching bugs: 
    
    After reading through other people's blogs about debugging and keeping a log of the bugs they found, I realized that I should probably write some sort of log on the bugs that I find/fix when I'm writing code since I might run into the same bug again but this time around it would be easier to find the cause of the bug and fix it! It would also give me a better understanding of the bug and why it happened if I kept a log of it since I could read over it and learn from my mistakes so it wouldn't happen again.

2. Documentation:

    If I had to explain the purpose of documentation in code I would use one and only one word... LAZINESS! Professor Heap has mentioned the "three great virtues of a programmer" many times in both CSC165 and CSC148 and of course, laziness is one of 'em. Why bother explaining to a partner/group member multiple time what this line or this chunk of code does when you can just write a small little comment? It will save you all the effort of explaining your code to anyone and everyone!

3. Help each other out!

    Throughout my studies in programming, I have always said to myself "if you've encountered a problem someone else in the world has probably encountered it too or something similar". So with that being said, whenever I encounter a problem and I can't seem to find a solution to it I'll look it up online. Most of the time someone has also encountered a similar problem and has made a post about it on some kind of forum such as: stackoverflow or reddit's own /r/programming. With programmers constantly posting questions and answers on forums you're bound to find a solution to your problem... and if you don't, MAKE YOUR OWN POST! Someone will probably have a solution to it and come to the rescue!

    I guess that's all I have to say about the first couple of weeks in this course and why geeks should write! Until next time! :D



    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment